The demand for TV Boxes is growing due to the recent increases in residential fibre roll-out and overall affordability of ‘uncapped’ internet packages. As with any small opportunity certain individuals / entities will always look to exploit the technically uninformed.
These are the 5 most important factors when looking to purchase a TV Box?
1. Firmware: does the TV Box support applications such as DSTV Now, Supersport and ShowMax etc. If the TV Box is a mass market generic factory unit then it will most likely NOT support these and many other applications.
2. Operating Platform (Android version): do not purchase a TV Box with an outdated Android version other than version 6.0.1 Marshmallow (current, stable) or Andriod 7.0....
• version 5.1 Lollipop (outdated)
• version 4 and 4.4 Kit-Kat (outdated)
3. CPU (Central Processor Unit): even if the TV Box you are considering has the latest android version make sure the CPU is a ‘current production’ model. If an Amlogic then all CPU’s starting with S8xx or less are outdated, better S905W S905X or S912. If using an RK (Rock chip) make sure of the same, better RK3128 RK3228 or RK3229.
4. RAM: the image that appears on your TV originates from the TV Boxes RAM. RAM is fixed and cannot be upgraded or expanded). The higher the RAM the higher the resolution of the image. Make sure the RAM is type DDR3.
TV Boxes with:-
• 1G of RAM are adequate for streaming Full HD (1080p) video and are the most affordable units.
• 2G of RAM are adequate for streaming most Ultra HD (4K) video are the most popular.
• 3G of RAM are generally the top of the range and are required when playing Blu-Ray quality media files or high end gaming applications.
5. ROM: this the storage where your Apps are installed. The enhanced base Android firmware without any Apps we install is approximately 4.5GB. Android applications can be downloaded as a *.apk file (as opposed to a *.exe in windows). The average APK file size is 30- 40MB so the capacity of 8GB, 16GB and 32GB TV Boxes can be determined. ROM can be expanded via the use of a class 10 or better SD card but the performance of internal ROM is still superior.